Thursday, March 18, 2010

Endings and Beginnings: Egypt to Turkey

The Ending:
So the first round of papers and finals have passed. They began the beginning of last week and ended this past monday. In the span of a week I wrote two large papers and had two finals. My Arabic class and Islam class have ended now. I am relieved that the tests are over but will miss the discussions and learning the local language- I will definitely continue to learn about both topics past this time.

Saturday night in the midst of studying I took a break to go to Sufi dancing at the Kahna Kahalili. It is free concert if you get there early enough to get in. I made it just in time as they were opening their doors and met up with other students and some of my Egyptian friends. We had a good time talking before it began. When it began we were able to hear both musicians and see the dancers-all men in pants and skirts for the whirling. One an whirled or spun for 45 minutes straight-no stopping-he would speed up and slow down and take off different layers of skirts and used prop such as flags and plates while constantly moving. Both the musicians and dancers were amazing and I would pay good money to see what I saw for free-it was a great study break.

We also on Monday had our last cultural activities and had a chance to see our students preform Dabka (Palestinian dancing) and Tabla (traditional drum). They all did a great job for the little amount of time we had to practice every week. A group of us girls that night then went to a local Salon for some relax time. I got my hair straightened and eyebrows threaded-I'd never had my eyebrows done(or did much to them at all) it was a good experience.

Then Tuesday was our last service project I spent it with the toddlers at sisters of Charity-they have a lot of energy and were in a small space but they kept me busy and it was good spending time with them.

Beginnings
Then yesterday we left for Turkey-Istanbul. As we were preparing to leave Egypt I couldn't help but think how much I was just really beginning to understand the culture and make connections with people there and just beginning to feel comfortable speaking my very basic Arabic with the local people in our neighborhood to just say hello or get my groceries or dinner. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in Egypt and am looking forward to coming back after our travels.

As for Istanbul- we arrived in early afternoon to a cold and rainy day-I felt like I was back in seattle with the green and water front of the Bosporus straight. We took a bus with all of our luggage and drove through town-it is such a large and busy/urban/modern city- we took a boat out onto the Bosporus (after a lunch/snack of starbucks) and got a tour of the straight that leads to the Black Sea. It was cold but enjoyable-great views. We then got back and headed to our hotel and settled in for the night getting some basic reading on Turkey done preparing us for the visits and speakers we would have coming up. I went out to eat near Tax-him square where we are staying and had "toast" for dinner-cheese and tomato sandwich as well as of course I tried Turkish delight for the first time.


Today we got ready and headed to Koc University a private university where classes are only taught in English. We heard a good overall lecture on the social and political history and current climate of Turkey is like then had a chance to eat lunch with some of the students. From the school which is on some hills outside of downtown Istanbul you can see the Black sea and a surrounding forest- great view. This afternoon and evening has mostly been spent trying to catch up online and get reading done for upcoming events. I am overwhelmed in a good way by all we will see and do in the next month and am looking forward to the adventure. It will take a lot of flexibility and constant changes as all of a sudden I am not speaking Arabic and I know little to no Turkish and am using new money system as well. I am no longer reading Arabic script on buildings or eating Egyptian food. It is definitely different but so far its been a good experience. Just as when I arrived to Egypt I am just taking it all in and am fascinated by the culture and environment. I am looking forward to the Adventures ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment